Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Cover Letters (For week of September 14)

I feel most of the website was very helpful when it came to creating an effective website. I loved that fast that they stressed how each cover letter needs to be specific to the company you are applying. They mentioned that when people send out hundreds of cover letters at a time that all they are doing is setting themselves up for failure. The cover letter is directed to the company, and they mentioned that this letter is about them and not you. The resume will provide your information, so the cover letter is a time to build up the company. I think that that bit of infomation is most important to keep in mind for future cover letters. There was one portion of the cover letter website that I did not agree with. They feel writing a hand written P.S. message at the end of the letter is a good idea. I think that this may take away from the professionalism in some cases and should only be used in interviews that are more informal. I was not aware that most interviewers look at the resume first. They don't pay attention to the cover letter until after your resume "passes," but that may be the deciding factor afterwards though.

4 comments:

rpainte said...

Hey, this is Rob. Just wanted to let you know I wrote about your presentation on my blog.

english304-jan said...

Hey girlie! I loved your presentation, so I wrote about it in my blog! Thanks for the Lemon Bar recipe!

monica said...

This is Monica and I just wanted you to know I wrote about you in my blog for this week! Thanks for the lemon bars :)

jld said...

I wrote about you in my blog this week! I loved the lemon bars and cannot wait to try out the recipe :)